Date: 4/9/17 1:09 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] Boulder County miscellany
Hey, everybody.

Early this Sunday morning, Apr. 9, on a lark and before the winds picked
up, I birded Lagerman Reservoir, Boulder County, where 21 somewhat early *white-faced
ibises* were roosting in the west end shallows. Then I heard the wild
caterwauling of a *long-billed curlew,* way up high; it circled the Rez
broadly, then put down on the mudflats at the northwest corner of the lake.
Earlier, whilst doing a bit of astronomy, I was delighted by a disorganized
chorus of winnowing *Wilson snipe* north of nearby Clover Basin Reservoir.
Okay, after Lagerman, I headed down to Boulder Reservoir, which had a nice *Mexican
duck* at the west end mudflats. Also: *great blue herons* (*n*=16) tending
nests, 3 *ospreys,* 1 male *American avocet,* at least 80 noisy *Franklin
gulls,* and scattered *tree swallows* and 1 *barn swallow.*

Yesterday afternoon, Saturday, Apr. 8, Andrew Floyd and I did general
natural history in the Coalton Open Space, far southern Boulder County,
where we found 2 *burrowing owls,* 1 *turkey vulture,* 1 *bald eagle,* an
odd aggregation of 35+ *black-billed magpies,* and incomprehensible
multitudes of alfalfa webworm moths, *Loxostege cereralis*. And yesterday
morning (sorry, I'm going out of order here), Sat., Apr. 8, I popped in on
Cottonwood Marsh, Walden Ponds, Boulder County, where I found 16 *cinnamon
teal *and 5* blue-winged teal,* 10 *Wilson snipe* all together, 3 *greater
yellowlegs,* a flyover *merlin,* a *white-crowned sparrow* that appeared to
derive from one of the dark-lored populations (however, it was molting, an
SY, I believe, so I'm not sure), and an early-ish *Lincoln sparrow.*

Continuing in random chronological order, back on Friday evening, Apr. 7,
Andrew and I saw and heard 2 early or overwintering *lesser goldfinches* at
Summit Middle School, Boulder County.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County