Date: 4/9/17 11:46 am
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison SP 4/9, Purple Finch, Sapsucker, 5 warbler sp.
The Sunday morning bird walk at Ft. Harrison State Park on April 9 tallied 47 species. Highlights included five species of warblers, four Purple Finch, courtship displays by Louisiana Waterthrush, two singing male Brown Creepers on territory, and a pair of Eastern Phoebes with one taking nesting material to its nest site.
The group got great looks at the pair of Louisiana Waterthrush along Fall Creek. Both birds were giving various call notes as they interacted. Ft. Harrison hosts a fair number of breeding Brown Creeper pairs although the birds are not always easy to locate. While individual birds have come and gone, the territories have largely remained the same over the past 15+ years. Our route this day took us through multiple territories and at least two male creepers were singing.
Shortly after seeing the phoebe pair interacting and one taking nesting material to under a bridge I heard a Purple Finch singing. Thankfully, the adult male sang a few times because we would have never seen the foursome high in a tree if they were quiet. Fortunately, the birds still for an extended period so that everyone got to see the adult male and at least one of the female/imm male trio. Below is the complete list.
Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  5
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  5
Cooper's Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  9
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)  6
Brown Creeper  3
Carolina Wren  9
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  14
European Starling  4
Louisiana Waterthrush  4, three males and one female
Northern Parula  2, males
Prothonotary Warbler  1, Mark R. onlyYellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  1
Yellow-throated Warbler  2, males
Chipping Sparrow  6
Field Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  5
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  9
Red-winged Blackbird  12
Brown-headed Cowbird  22
House Finch  3
Purple Finch  4, one adult male and three female/imm male
American Goldfinch  13
House Sparrow  1
A bird walk will be held each Sunday in April and May, including Easter, at Ft. Harrison State Park.  Meet at 8am in the northeast corner of Delaware Lake parking lot.  Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com

Join us on Facebook!