Date: 4/9/17 7:08 am
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Marsh Area-- April 9, 2017 AM
I walked the main drive of Eagle Marsh this morning just as the first bit of pink showed on the eastern horizon.  I was hoping for bittern but missed it, settling instead for a nice stroll and these highlights:

Wood Duck- 3; female calls; flyover silhouette
Blue-winged Teal- 5; male, female calls
Pied-billed Grebe- 2; animated calls from two in close proximity
Great Egret- 3 flyovers
Virginia Rail- 1; calls
Sora- 2; brief weak flights of two silent birds together
American Coot- 3; calls
Sandhill Crane- 1; calls heard from direction of Serv-All (later heard again while parked at Serv-All); interesting
Killdeer- 1
American Woodcock- 1; calls
Wilson's Snipe- 1; calls
Eastern Bluebird- 1; song
Swamp Sparrow- 5; song, calls
Blackbirds-- large overnight roosts in cattails; mixed flocks of mostly red-wings and grackles, but a few rusties also heard

Afterward, I checked Sleepy Hollow Lane, finding that the feeders near the cemetery hosted a fair mix of sparrows, including Amer. Tree (1), Chipping (4),  White-throated (3), and DE Junco (4).  At the end of the lane, I noted my first female sapsucker of the season and a continuously singing Purple Finch.

Then, a few brief stops along the northern edge or Eagle Marsh and Serv-All netted these highlights:

Gadwall- 2
Blue-winged Teal- dozens
N. Shoveler and GW Teal- a few each
Pied-billed Grebe- 2
Double-crested Cormorant- 10
Great Egret- 1
Bald Eagle- 2; one adult, one imm.
American Coot- dozens
Rock Pigeon- 4
Eastern Phoebe- 1
Brown Thrasher- 1 singing near pump road gate
Field Sparrow- 1 singing

Rodger Rang
Fort Wayne

Join us on Facebook!