Date: 4/9/17 3:54 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Apr 2017) 26 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 26 180 578

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, Jeff Chambers, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Howard Campbell, Jeff Chambers, Debby Kern, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (15-50% cloud cover), Temps 52-64F, Winds WNW 5-10 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (40) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Today I noticed “our” Mockingbird imitating Red-bellied
Woodpecker and either Sapsucker, or a Sapsucker imitating a Red-shouldered
Hawk, or a straight Red-shouldered Hawk…you do the math – beyond me.
The Hummingbird feeders were filled and hung today in anticipation of the
arrival of these interesting, tiny gems, soon to brighten our days. Who
among us can’t spend hours watching these acrobats who “coexist” so well
with their brethren? How on earth do these creatures manage to reproduce?
I KNOW HOW they reproduce. Just not how they tolerate each other’s
existence long enough to do so. Wait….kinda like humans, I suppose…lol
A flyover, calling Purple Finch was the 82nd species identified at The
Watch this spring. A Swamp Sparrow foraging in the feed, was #83.
Two Harriers drifted slowly high overhead. You always hope these winged
travelers we watch find home as they left it. Far too much of their
“homes” are drained or developed into things we over-populated humans deem
necessary.
As I type this, a Palm Warbler first called, then landed on the grass
before me…feeding. I too, was feeding on a bagel (with berry cream cheese)
and hazelnut coffee from the local Wawa.
My old Longwood Gardens friend, Howard came out to join me and a new
observer, Jeff, too.
American Lady and Clouded Sulphurs were added to the butterfly list.
Kathleen arrived, bearing a salad from Talula’s. A special treat, indeed.
Native Wildflowers seen on our afternoon walk were: the usual Bloodroot,
Trout lily, Spring Beauties. Also Spicebush was in full bloom.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Wood Duck, 1-Killdeer, 3-Ring-billed
Gull, 1-Barred Owl, 1-Belted Kingfisher, 1-Northern Rough-winged Swallow,
4-Golden-crowned Kinglet, 2-Brown Thrasher, 1-Palm Warbler, 1-Swamp
Sparrow, 10-White-crowned Sparrow, 1-Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
American Lady. Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (2): Spring Peeper,
American Toad. Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.25; Steps: 14,672; Floors:
30.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 83
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Purple
Finch, Swamp Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: