Date: 4/8/17 10:36 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Newport area birds today
Hi folks,

We birded the Newport area today with Isaac Denzer and Kai and Ben Frueh.
The weather defied the forecast and blessed us with more sun and dry skies
than we dared to expect, except for a brief squall at the South Jetty.

We started at Boiler Bay, where Isaac spotted a lone FORK-TAILED STORM
PETREL fluttering rather close in, allowing all of us great looks - a life
bird for three in our group! Otherwise, movement over the ocean was rather
slow, with small groups of murres, guillemots and MARBLED MURRELETS and all
three loons (many in breeding plumage).

At Yaquina Head, the resident PEREGRINE FALCONS made their usual showing,
with the female sitting firmly on the nest.

The South Jetty was rather slow, we saw no phalaropes, but a MARBLED GODWIT
at the gull puddle was a nice surprise.

We encountered more shorebirds at South Beach, with a flock of 31
WHIMBRELS, 9 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and 2 WESTERN SANDPIPERS. Things are
beginning to move!

Not much along the HMSC trail, but it was nice to see several EARED (6),
HORNED and RED-NECKED GREBES in full breeding plumage.

All in all, a very nice day! The boys can add anything we forgot.

Happy Spring Birding!

Hendrik and Oscar

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn