Date: 4/8/17 9:58 pm
From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232...>
Subject: [obol] Vaux's Swifts Back at Agate Hall
This evening I did my regular Vaux's Swift watch at Agate Hall. I wasn't expecting much, based on the absence of swifts for the last two years. I arrived at about 6:45 p.m. At 7:14 p.m., I heard swifts in the air. Two swifts flew in from the north and continued to the south. It was nice to see this species for the first time this season, especially when I expected to see none., but I didn't think I would see any more. Then more came. Several groups, including one with about 30 birds, came and flew near the chimney. I thought they would go on south like the others did. A little later some swifts started to swirl around the chimney as if they were going to roost there. I thought maybe they were just checking it out. They kept on acting like prospective roosters, and I began to think they might actually go into the chimney. At 7:57, 9 minutes after sunset, a small group went in. By 8:06, I had counted 31 swifts going into the chimney.

The fact that all of the evening's swifts arrived from the north suggests to me that they had been back for at least one full day before today. Some swifts probably roosted elsewhere.

I don't know what to expect next, but it seems like there is a glimmer of hope for a good swift watching season at Agate Hall.

Barbara Combs
Lane County, OregonPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!