Date: 4/8/17 7:24 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest and NE Ct.
I have been going to the Yale Forest area in Ashford/Union now for several
weeks, and while it has been overall fairly quiet (as expected this time
of year) it is slowly waking up, with some interesting observations. 2
singing male Winter Wrens Friday and what I believe was a female a week ago.
(Responded to a call but did not sing). An Osprey about 3 weeks ago almost on
the Ashford/Union line. Three Red-shouldered Hawks, 2 at the nest that was
built 3 years ago and active last season and fledged three juveniles. I
didn't observe any breeding behavior but one bird was sitting in the nest,
though it flew when the other called from 200 feet away.
Ebird below.

Also, 3 of the 4 osprey have now returned to the 2 Osprey nests I am
monitoring for CT Aud. in Ashford and Eastford. The Ashford birds are back and
very active, including mating. 1 bird present at the Eastford marsh, sitting
on a snag, but no sign of the mate. Possibly the female because I believe
the male would be on or around the nest, working on it. Hopefully mate will
return or be replaced.
A troubling observation. I believe a pair of Ravens have built a nest on
the Ashford cell tower about 5 feet almost directly below the Osprey nest.
Hard for me to believe there will not be conflict between these 2 species.

NOTE: I see many Osprey in other locations in Eastern Ct, but the only
other nests known (to CT Aud) are in Brooklyn. I am certain there are others
around and if anyone knows of other nests or an area where OS are frequently
seen please let me know.

Re: Brown Creeper song. What I take for the Creeper's call note is really
the 1st note of the song, I believe. Similar to the way BT Green Warblers
use parts of their song as a call. Probably lots of other birds as well.

Apr 7, 2017 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
31 species