Date: 4/8/17 7:06 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Willamette Valley habitats
Hi Bruce (& OBOLites),

Thanks for your informed discussion of Eurasian blackberries and their
impacts on bird habitats in the Willamette Valley.

About Franklin and Dyrness (1989), I'm inclined to think that they might
just have been disinclined to list one of these invasive species, as I
remember Himalaya/Armenian blackberries (along with scotch broom) were
quite evident along the I-5 corridor when I passed through on a
Greyhound bus in May of 1985, and during my subsequent years of
residence in the Puget Sound area.

Anyway I agree that the effects on native bird species must be profound.
Looking at the PEERJ paper that Doug Robinson cited, at least three of
the species that were common in 1952, but not found in 2013 re-surveys
of approximately the same areas, would have been negatively impacted by
invasion of Eurasian blackberries in the understory. Specifically:

Nashville Warbler (invasion of native understory)
Chipping Sparrow (ditto)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (overgrowth of river/creek banks nesting
strata by blackberries).

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis