Date: 4/8/17 6:35 pm
From: Brian Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bald eagles, broad-winged hawks in Pachaug State Forest (Voluntown)
At Pachaug State Forest this afternoon on Beachdale Pond (the dam side) one first-year bald eagle swooped across the pond as I started a hike to Sawmill Pond.  Minutes later an adult bald eagle appeared soaring at cloud level and then out of view again.  Only two swans and a bufflehead pair on the pond today, ten or so tree swallows flew about continuously through the day.  Some tree creepers, phoebes, and downy woodpeckers in the basin area beneath the dam.  One common merganser pair idled on Sawmill pond, four female hooded mergansers and one male common goldeneye were making for the dam.  Two broad-winged hawks called from either side of the trail on my return and the nearest one, a light juvenile, watched from a perch for several minutes before I followed into that section of the woods.  Before leaving I found more phoebes and a few pine warblers with a flock of golden-crowned kinglets in another basin.
broad-winged hawk (light juvenile)     https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/33108790103/in/datetaken-public/

Brian Williams
Griswold