Date: 4/8/17 4:59 pm
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Old Port Isabel & South Padre
Hi, all!

With the great report from South Padre this week I decided to head over
there today, but started first with Old Port Isabel Road; it was a beautiful
day and both Cassin's and Lark Sparrows posed nicely (the former were
skylarking right next to the road), and had my first American Golden Plovers
of the route. Also had a good selection of "desert" birds, several
Whimbrels, flyover Upland Sandpipers, a pair of Chihuahuan Ravens, plus four
raptors, but no Aplomados. A nice addition was a singing Sedge Wren in the
grassy stuff. At the end of the road a pair of Bobwhite communicated right
next to me, and my FOS Brown-crested Flycatcher competed with a White-eyed
Vireo.

Once on the Island I hit the Flats first, which were in great shape: had
the usual larids and shorebirds (see below), along with a Royal Tern who
seemed more interested in playing "piggyback" with his mate than getting
down to family business!

At the Convention Centre things were REEEELY slow, but with a lotta people
looking! Ran into Donna McCown who told me about a Catbird (which
eventually came out), and a lady out back pointed out a Summer Tanager, and
yet another Sedge Wren was calling from the grass! On the boardwalk I ran
into Brad McKinney and Mark Esparza, and that's where most of the action
actually was! Mark had reported a lot of migration early that morning, and
after enjoying the Clapper Rail out in the open (finally!) and a female
Least Bittern, we went past the mangroves and just watched as stuff came
into them: three Orchard Orioles, one Baltimore, a Black-and-white Warbler,
a couple of Indigo Buntings, and a waterthrush that Mark saw briefly
(probably the same one that's been "pinking" all along :))!

Mark had reported a Kentucky Warbler at Sheepshead, so I headed over there,
where Simon Kiacz was keeping watch over the empty south lot. After a bit
of chatting a Worm-eating Warbler suddenly showed up, and as more people
came a Kentucky Warbler popped up briefly, and on the north (sunny) side
there were several Indigo Buntings in the water feature! Scarlet showed up
about then to do some maintenance and schmooze a bit; I sure appreciate all
the work she and her crew put into these avian rest areas! :)

Called it a day after that with 90 species for the morning. A few pictures
(and a video of the Cassin's Sparrow; still waiting for the one of the terns
to upload.) are on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Redhead Aythya americana

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Least Bittern Ixobrychus exilis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Green Heron Butorides virescens

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris

Sora Porzana carolina

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Oystercatcher Haematopus palliatus

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

American Golden-Plover Pluvialis dominica

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus

Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa

Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres

Sanderling Calidris alba

Dunlin Calidris alpina

Short-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus griseus

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Gull-billed Tern Gelochelidon nilotica

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

Black Skimmer Rynchops niger

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Tropical Kingbird Tyrannus melancholicus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Chihuahuan Raven Corvus cryptoleucus

Purple Martin Progne subis

Bank Swallow Riparia riparia

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

Worm-eating Warbler Helmitheros vermivorum

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Orange-crowned Warbler Oreothlypis celata

Kentucky Warbler Geothlypis formosa

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Cassin's Sparrow Peucaea cassinii

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

90 SPECIES