Date: 4/8/17 3:57 pm
Subject: 20 shorebird species standing in one spot (just after a Barn Owl sighting)
During a shorebird survey at the Yawkey Wildlife Center (restricted
access) this morning, while standing on a dike between two
impoundments on South Island, Richard Wyndham, Tommy Graham and I had
close to 8,000 individual shorebirds in view, representing twenty
shorebird species. That is pretty good for this early in April.

Highlights included American Golden-Plover, 100s of American Avocets,
Marbled Godwits, Wilson's Plover, Stilt Sandpipers, and a 100s of
Long-billed Dowitchers. Also present were Least Bittern, American
White-Pelicans, and we inadvertently flushed a Barn Owl on the
oak-lined road just before stopping at the aforementioned spot.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!