Date: 4/8/17 3:20 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] NW Ind (8-Apr-2017). White Pelican & Short-eared Owl
Today Jeff McCoy, Lynn Vernon, and I birded a number of NW Indiana sites.

We failed to find our target bird, Smith’s Longspur

—REYNOLDS CREEK (without McCoy)
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Killdeer,3
Sandhill Crane,4
Ring-billed Gull,30
Short-eared Owl,1
Horned Lark,2
Tree Swallow,10
American Tree Sparrow,20
Savannah Sparrow,5
Song Sparrow,6
Eastern Meadowlark,7

—GREEN TOWER AT DUNES S.P. (met Jeff plus Brendan Grube and many others)
We had hoped for a hawk flight, but it failed to occur. Brendan will post a complete list.

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT D (with Amy Hodson)
Rough-legged Hawk,1 dark morph adult
Killdeer,1
Belted Kingfisher,1
Horned Lark,2
Savannah Sparrow,3

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT K (with Amy Hodson)
American Wigeon,3
Blue-winged Teal,92
Northern Shoveler,5
Green-winged Teal,10
Great Blue Heron,1
Rough-legged Hawk,2- light morph imm & adult
Greater Yellowlegs,17
Lesser Yellowlegs,46
Pectoral Sandpiper,115
Eastern Meadowlark,3

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT L Rough-legged Hawk,1 light morph

—WILLOW SLOUGH FWA
Blue-winged Teal,12
Northern Shoveler,5
Redhead,
Lesser Scaup,30
Common Goldeneye,1 fem
Bufflehead,35
Red-breasted Merganser,4
Common Loon,2 alternate plumage
Pied-billed Grebe,3
Horned Grebe,25- 4 alternate, 16 molting, & 5 in basic
American White Pelican,150
Double-crested Cormorant,3
Great Blue Heron,1
Great Egret,1