Date: 4/8/17 10:22 am
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Prior Maryland Prairie Falcon reports
MD (and DC ... and VA) Birders:

An update on earlier MD Prairie Falcon reports that you might find to
be of interest ...

1. I had mentioned earlier that there was a Feb 1994 Maryland report
of a Prairie Falcon observed at Jug Bay, Anne Arundel County, MD. The
Jug Bay bird was not observed wearing jesses; however, the sighting
coincided with a VA falconer's Prairie Falcon that had been lost. The
lost bird was a breeding female and therefore it was not wearing
jesses. (Also, the written description provided did not eliminate the
possibility of a hybrid.) This report was not accepted by the records
committee.

2. In my historical canvass activities of records committee
"reviewable" reports from MD and DC, I came across a report in the
Bird Banding Lab archives of a Maryland banded Prairie Falcon in the
fall of 1950. My notes on this report say, "Bird was banded. Band #
54-711546. "Experimental." "This bird was shipped in from the west to
a boy in Bethesda who lost interest in it."" This immature female was
subsequently released in Frederick, MD.

Phil

At 01:41 PM 03/25/2017, Phil Davis wrote:
>As you know, if seen over the Potomac River, that would be in DC waters.
>
>One caveat: There was a MD report of a Prairie Falcon years ago at
>Jug Bay but it coincided with a bird lost by a falconer in VA.
>
>Phil

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court