Date: 4/8/17 8:28 am
Subject: Another Plea to those looking to do a Breeding Bird Survey
Hi Folks

This is another plea for willing volunteers to take up one or more of the
available Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) routes in NC. There are currently 7
routes available, with two in the Mountains, one in the Inner Coastal
Plain, one in the Outer Coastal Plain, one near the Sandhills, and two in
the southern Piedmont. Go to the Vacant Routes page on the BBS website to
see exactly where these routes are, AND to learn more about the BBS if you
don't know much about it! The site address is www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/

Briefly each BBS route consists of 50 three-minute stops at .5 mile
intervals along a 24.5 mile route. Each route, conducted once a year during
a late May to late June window, starts at 30 minutes before sunrise and can
usually be finished in around 4 hours. The main requirement that must be
met is that the Observer must be very confident in recognizing all the
sounds of the breeding species normally found along the Route. Generally
70-80% of the birds detected during the survey will by ear. Also it is
customary for new Observers to commit to a Route for 3 years or longer. I
will be running my first route for the 40th time this season! The longer an
Observer runs the same route, the more confidence one has in analysis of
changes during the years.

So if you are interested in taking on a Route, or you long-timers adding
another route, please let me know. I can answer any questions you might
have and /or get you set up for starting this year.

Thanks, later, Ricky

--
Ricky Davis
NC BBS Coordinator