Date: 4/8/17 6:12 am
From: Rich MacDonald <rich...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Recent MDI highlights
This was a birdy week here on Mount Desert Island (which basically means I
got out birding a LOT!). Here are some highlights from the week:

Bass Harbor Marsh is the place for ducks with four good species observed
this week!

Gadwall. Two were found at Bass Harbor Marsh. A female GADW found Wednesday
was quite close, easily viewed with binoculars. Thursday, a male GADW was
observed at some distance (thank Darwin for spotting scopes). And Friday a
male and female GADW were feeding together, again observed at some distance
with a scope.

American Wigeon. 4 AMWI (2 female, 2 male) were observed Friday at Bass
Harbor Marsh.While I was watching them, College of the AtlanticĀ¹s
ornithology class pulled up, so I was able to share the love with them. As
they were leaving, an Acadia National Park law enforcement officer pulled
up. He wanted to know if I was guiding (I was not). In all my years of
living in Bar Harbor, I have NOT ONCE been queried by ANP law enforcement,
but between last year and this, I have been stopped no less than six times.
So, if any of you are guiding in Acadia, be sure to have you Commercial Use
Authorization.

Northern Pintail. A single NOPI was reported Tuesday by Jim Bright at Bass
Harbor Marsh Tuesday. We dipped on it Wednesday. I found it Thursday. And
Friday there were two.

Green-winged Teal. GWTE have arrived with small numbers around Mount Desert
Island and a maximum of 12 observed Friday at Bass harbor Marsh.

Friday was Duck Day as I observed 19 species of ducks and geese (that is a
very good number for MDI):
1. Canada Goose
2. Wood Duck
3. Gadwall
4. American Wigeon
5. American Black Duck
6. Mallard
7. Northern Pintail
8. Green-winged Teal
9. Ring-necked Duck
10. Common Eider
11. Harlequin Duck
12. White-winged Scoter
13. Black Scoter
14. Long-tailed Duck
15. Bufflehead
16. Common Goldeneye
17. Hooded Merganser
18. Common Merganser
19. Red-breasted Merganser
Bald Eagle. I had 4 immature BAEA together at Bass Harbor Marsh, including
one who unsuccessfully chased a Mallard. I rarely see Mallards dive, but
that one sure did!

Belted-Kingfisher. I had one all January and February at Jones Marsh, near
the head of Mount Desert Island, but I had not seen one since until
Thursday, when I heard its rattling call at Bass Harbor Marsh.

Yellow-rumped Warbler. A YWRA was singing in my dooryard this morning! My
FOY warbler!

Fox Sparrow. This week, FOPSs have been observed in small numbers all around
the island.

Richard MacDonald
The Natural History Center
P.O. Box 6