Date: 4/8/17 3:21 am
From: RALPH ELDRIDGE <lightrae1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT
Last night we experienced moderate to strong Southerly wind and light rain
and there seems that a pretty good batch of migrants moved. It has the
makings for good drop-outs at landfall sites so today (Saturday)might yield
good early season birding. Here, I'm seeing dozens of SONG SPARROWS &
JUNCOS foraging around the buildings and lawns. It looks like there's a
couple of WHITE THROATED SPARROWS in the mix.

Not too much in the way of new birds has arrived here in recent days.
Yesterday produced a couple small groups of CANADA GEESE, totaling 14
individuals. Several other, larger flocks were seen passing up the bay, as
well as about 100 Brant and quite a few small flocks of SCOTERS.
The only new land species noted was STARLINGS, about 10 that arrived
Thursday night.

The RAZORBILLS finally came into the satellite colonies on the North East
and South East shores about 5 days after the Razorbills & Murres landed in
the main colony.
For the past two days the Alcids (as expected) have been completely absent.
When they return next, I expect that the PUFFINS will be here, too. All of
the Alcids should stay from then on.

BIRD OF THE DAY: the semi-wet SONG SPARROW clinging to the window sill at 3
AM and peering in, watching me, from less than 2 feet away.