Date: 4/7/17 1:27 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Avon: Eurasian Wigeon et al
I had a good look at a Eurasian Wigeon this afternoon, along with other
waterfowl, in the flooded field along Rte. 20 west of the split from Rte.
5, west of the river and east of the greenway path. - really in the town of
Caledonia, but closer to Avon.
Birds in the area, with approximate counts included:
Canada Goose 300
Eurasian Wigeon (adult male) 1
Am. Wigeeon 15
Mallard 10
N. Shoveler 12
N. Pintail 2
Green-winged Teal 70
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 100

I checked where the Osprey nest has been in Avon, but found no nest at this
point (it was either taken down or blew down). The pond by that cell tower
had a Great Blue heron and a pair of Mallards.
Great Blue Herons are back on nests off Fowlerville Rd. (north from Boyd
Rd.), though it looks to me that at least a couple of the big nests are
gone - probably fell down in the wind. I could see about six Great Blues
standing or flying into nests. I saw a pair of N. Harriers chasing each
other over the good grass field along Little Rd. I did check SE of
Cuylerville and a little down by the Geneseo airfield - lots of flooded
spots, but no birds of interest.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>