Date: 4/7/17 11:20 am
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] [FR] Brewer's Blackbirds?
On 4/6/17, Tony Futcher <tonyfutcher1> wrote:
Are you sure they are not female Brown-headed Cowbirds?

Here was my reply [with a few additions] to another query proposing
female cowbirds rather than Brewer's:

I wish I had had more looks at them, but my "look" was more than brief
thru a window at feeders not more than 20' away using my 10x42 bins.
The birds were appx. at eye level.

The bills did not have the chunkiness of cowbirds' bills in my
estimation [noted in the initial post] & no male cowbirds were around.

The eye's darkness [mentioned in the guides] was the initial feature
that caught my eye causing me to give them more attention than I might
have otherwise. I've also been on the lookout for Rusties as they
have been reported on the other side of S MTN and I briefly thought
that was my bird, but also not the case.
Today I've had a good opportunity to view male RWBBs at the feeders.
One thought might have been that a male hiding its epaulet was my
bird(s), but not the case.

Whatever was around yesterday has not been seen today.

Not sure if Brewer's are reviewable in Fred Co. Stewart & Robbins
[Birds of MD & DC] list two instances of Brewer's in winter in
Emmitsburg [1951 & 55].

Jim S