Date: 4/7/17 9:27 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Apr 2017) 42 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 42 129 527

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy - Cloudy (50-100% cloud cover), Temps 50-64F, Winds SE 10-15
mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Bald Eagle,
2-Cooper's Hawk, 4-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American
Kestrel, and numerous Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (52).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A mockingbird has taken to eating the suet placed at the
feeding table provided by Wild Birds Unlimited in Glen Mills. He’s also
taken to regaling me - constantly - with his repertoire which included,
among others: Carolina Wren, Flicker, Catbird, Blue Jay, Starling, Great
Crested Flycatcher, Sapsucker, Nuthatch, Killdeer and what sounded like a
Greater Yellowlegs. It also included cell phone and car alarm. “Back in
the day” it would have included Meadowlark, Bobwhite, and other species,
now very much less common and localized due to human encroachment, habitat
destruction, and other variables. Mockingbirds learn and repeat what they
hear. Sadly, they no longer hear those species, hence they are not learned
or repeated. They do hear the sounds of our modern existence, though. The
sounds we bring their way; or don’t hear the sounds we eliminate from their
environment. I, too, have those things…we all do. To exist, compete or
even to survive in this world – we are forced to change it; at least in a
small way. The thing is to minimize it all, or keep it all at a very slow
pace to allow for some adaptation, right? And we all know humans are all
about doing things slow and controlled (tongue firmly in cheek).
Late this afternoon, our first Clouded Sulphur was picked up by Kathleen.
Grab a celebratory pretzel, Kathleen!
Those pretzels were later blown off the table by the day’s strong wind - of
course, with me having left the lid off. The contents all emptied upon the
soggy ground. The five second rule? Apparently, the rule was not in play,
according to her.
“No way!” Kathleen said. “Those are for the public. Eat those yourself if
you want.”
So into another container they went. Keep your hands off MY PRETZELS!
On our walk…Kathleen spotted a Great Egret (species #80), flying over the
Red Clay Creek valley. Species #81 were several, very cute Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers. You gotta love Gnatcatchers, right?
“Grab yourself a pretzel, Kathleen for that Great Egret!” I said. “I have
just the pretzels for you!”
“No!” She replied with a knowing smile. “Not going to happen. They’re all
yours! Eat and enjoy.”
To our native wildflowers list we added Common Blue Violet; also seeing
Bloodroot, Spring Beauty, and the beautiful, just flowering Virginia
Bluebell.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 3-Wood Duck, 2-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great
Egret, 1-Killdeer, 2-Ring-billed Gull, 4-Herring Gull, 1-Belted Kingfisher,
3-Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 5-Golden-crowned Kinglet, 2-Brown Thrasher,
3-Eastern Towhee, 1-Fox Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies
(0); Reptiles & Amphibians (2): Spring Peeper, American Toad. Mammals (1):
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.47; Steps: 17,520; Floors:
31.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list of species
identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area. We include it
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must
remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch”
year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 56; this season: 81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Great
Egret, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: