Date: 4/6/17 8:30 pm
From: Hailey Walls <hailey.m.w...>
Subject: [obol] Oaks Bottom 1st Bird Song Walk - belated report
I’m a few days past the walk now but feeling inspired to share by the other bird song walk reports on OBOL. Tuesday April 4th was the first bird song walk for Oaks Bottom. We had a really great turn out - 26 people showed up for the inaugural walk. We had lovely weather for an early April morning and an impressive amount of bird activity that more than made up for challenges from closed and flooded trails.

Some of our highlights this week were a very vocal pair of White-breasted Nuthatches at the start of the walk, my first of season Black-throated Gray Warbler, a Bald Eagle that happened to perch above the Screamin’ Eagle ride at Oaks Park, and a tree full of very chatty American Goldfinches and Tree Swallows. We also had 5 different species working on nests - some acrobatic Osprey, an Anna’s Hummingbird sitting on the nest, a pair of Black-capped Chickadees diving in and out of theirs, two Downy Woodpeckers appraising a possible nest cavity, and finally a Cooper’s Hawk building a nest in Sellwood Park as we left for the day.

We ended up with 40 species by the official end of the walk, with an additional two picked up as we left for the day (Cooper’s Hawk and Red-breasted Nuthatch). Our full eBird list for the walk is here -
 and I posted a few photos and a ton of words about the morning here
http://haileywalls.com/birding/1st-oaks-bottom-bird-song-walk/

Thanks to everyone who came out this week and I’m looking forward to the next!

-Hailey Walls

Join us on Facebook!