Date: 4/6/17 6:01 pm
From: Doug Hitchcox <dhitchcox...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Gilsland Farm Bird Walk, 4/6
Hey Maine-birds:

This morning’s bird walk at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth had many signs of spring but a light mist and high of 37ºF kept things a bit chilly. We managed to tally 47 species (our highest count since October) thanks to a mixed bag of lingering ‘winter birds’, migrants passing through, and recently arrived residents. Highlights included:

The diversity of waterfowl keeps improving, especially around the marsh of the North Meadow. Today among the usual suspects were 4 Northern Shovelers, 2 Northern Pintail, 18 Green-winged Teal, 24 Ring-necked Ducks (down from 47 on Monday), plus a merganser hit-trick.

A pair of Belted Kingfishers have returned to the bluff in the West Meadow. American Crows continue to construct their nest near the edge of the orchard while Eastern Bluebirds are checking out nest boxes around the sanctuary.

Seems like someone turned on the Song Sparrow switch earlier this week and they continue to carpet the ground around the Environmental Center. A few American Tree Sparrows are hanging around the feeders and have been singing lately - always a treat to hear before they head north.

A complete list from the walk is available at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35735086

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox
Staff Naturalist