Date: 4/6/17 5:44 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] "Calaveras" Warblers in the Corvallis area in 1953
Hi all,

In my last posting about Nashville Warblers I referred to some
observations from an old OSU (OSC?) master's thesis from the middle of
the last century. Today I hunted down that thesis in OSU's digital
archives:

"Summer Bird Habitats in the Corvallis Area, Willamette Valley, Oregon,"
by Richard Hewes Eddy Jr., June 1953.

Here are some excerpts relevant to the discussion of Nashville Warblers
and the habitat where they apparently nested around Corvallis at that
time. My additions/notes are in [square braces like this]:

--
Observations of the summering birds of the Corvallis area of the
Willamette Valley, Oregon were made from June 14 to and including August
24, 1952.
The areas were designated as area one – the Conifer forest area; area
two – the Oak Woodland area; area three – the Brushy area; area four –
the Willamette River area; area five – the Marsh area; and area six –
the Mixed Deciduous area.
The Oak Woodland area is located about one mile west of Corvallis on a
hillside behind and to one side of a turkey farm along Harrison Street.
The area covers about thirty-five acres and is dominated by garry oak
(Quercus garryana). There are many thickets of poison oak (Rhus
diversiloba) and wild rose (Rosa). At one end of the area are piles of
fire wood covered with poison oak, roses, and grasses.
Ten two-hour observation periods were spent in each area. The
observations were always made in the morning hours between five and ten
o'clock so the results could be better compared from one area to
another.
Vermivora ruficapilla: Van Rossem

Calaveras warblers were mainly warblers of the brushy oak woodland type
of habitat. They were very common in area two [oak woodland] and were
also seen infrequently in areas one [conifer forest, McDonald Forest
ridge 3 miles w. of Lewisburg], five [McFadden's Marsh], and six [mixed
deciduous area just west of oak woodland]. The second named area was the
only place the birds were seen away from the brushy-oak type of habitat.
A nest on the ground, hidden under a patch of poison oak, with four
young was observed June 16, and by June 25 the young had left the nest.

Calaveras warbler counts in Coniferous Forest area (from Table II):
Jun 30: 4
Aug 3: 1
(none on 8 other visits, Jun 19 through Aug 21)

Calaveras warbler counts in Oak area (from Table III):
Jun 14: 6
Jun 17: 12
Jun 25: 8
Jul 9: 2
Jul 18: 10
Jul 24: 3
Aug 5: 6
Aug 10: 9
Aug 17: 11
Aug 24: 7

Calaveras warbler counts in [McFadden's] Marsh area (from Table VI):
Aug 19: 7
(none on 9 other visits, Jun 16 through Aug 22)

Calaveras warbler counts in Mixed Deciduous area (from Table VII):
Jul 29: 2
Aug 7: 1
(none on 8 other visits, Jun 15 through Aug 18)

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>