Date: 4/6/17 10:13 am
From: Diane K. Bierly <dkb246...>
Subject: Fwd: [PABIRDS] 2017 heron survey - help wanted
------ Original Message ------
From: "Barber, Patricia" <patbarber...>
To: <PABIRDS...>
Subject: [PABIRDS] 2017 heron survey - help wanted

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is responsible for protecting heron
populations and tracking their distribution in the state. For 2017 we are
conducting a comprehensive survey of heron colonies. The goal is to count all
the nests of each species, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, and Black-crowned
and Yellow-crowned Night-herons, at each site creating a "snapshot" of the
distribution of nesting herons statewide. If you know where herons are
nesting, we'd appreciate hearing from you. Don't assume someone else will
report local nests.

With such widely distributed species and limited resources, we rely on the
help of volunteers like yourself to improve our understanding of their
distribution and numbers. Even though many heron colonies are documented
across the Commonwealth, you may know about colonies that we don't. Your
contributions are critical to improving our information and developing the
most complete picture possible of the current status of Pennsylvania's heron
populations. The information will be used to update the Pennsylvania Natural
Heritage Program database and provide protection for colonies.

As much as we want all the nests counted, the birds come first. Their nests
should be monitored with binoculars from a safe distance. Please do not
approach nests.
To get started visit
http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationResources/GetInvolved/Pages/HeronColonyObservationSurvey.aspx,
by following the protocol you'll ensure your fieldwork will help science and
not disrupt nesting herons. Submit your completed survey forms to:
<heron...><mailto:<heron...>.

This survey is an ideal way to demonstrate that you value herons specifically
and wildlife in general.

Thanks,
Patti

Patricia Barber