Date: 4/6/17 7:06 am
From: Barber, Patricia <patbarber...>
Subject: 2017 heron survey - help wanted
The Pennsylvania Game Commission is responsible for protecting heron populations and tracking their distribution in the state. For 2017 we are conducting a comprehensive survey of heron colonies. The goal is to count all the nests of each species, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, and Black-crowned and Yellow-crowned Night-herons, at each site creating a "snapshot" of the distribution of nesting herons statewide. If you know where herons are nesting, we'd appreciate hearing from you. Don't assume someone else will report local nests.

With such widely distributed species and limited resources, we rely on the help of volunteers like yourself to improve our understanding of their distribution and numbers. Even though many heron colonies are documented across the Commonwealth, you may know about colonies that we don't. Your contributions are critical to improving our information and developing the most complete picture possible of the current status of Pennsylvania's heron populations. The information will be used to update the Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program database and provide protection for colonies.

As much as we want all the nests counted, the birds come first. Their nests should be monitored with binoculars from a safe distance. Please do not approach nests.
To get started visit http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationResources/GetInvolved/Pages/HeronColonyObservationSurvey.aspx, by following the protocol you'll ensure your fieldwork will help science and not disrupt nesting herons. Submit your completed survey forms to: <heron...><mailto:<heron...>.

This survey is an ideal way to demonstrate that you value herons specifically and wildlife in general.

Thanks,
Patti

Patricia Barber
Endangered Species Biologist