Date: 4/5/17 5:43 pm
From: Scott Weidensaul <scottweidensaul...>
Subject: Re: Wood duck, R.I.P., Schuylkill Co. (or maybe Berks)
True, but great horned owls are not known for their delicate plucking of prey, and this breast and flanks of this woodie had been meticulously plucked. That narrows it down, in my experience, to either a big accipiter or a big falcon, and as I mentioned in the original post, the fact that the raptor plucked and ate in two locations that were both open and some distance from trees makes me doubt it was an accipiter. But maybe it was an owl with uncommon manners.

Thanks,

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven, PA

On Apr 5, 2017, at 8:26 PM, steve cottrell wrote:

> Another possible culprit is a Great Horned Owl. If a pair is nesting in the area, the duck would have been carried off as a meal for the young.
>

> steve cottrell
>
> Chester Co

Join us on Facebook!