Date: 4/5/17 5:13 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
Hi all:

Trip leaders Barbara Dolan and Fred Stephens were joined by 6 participants on
Monday's Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk. It was a chilly morning, with a
starting temperature of 32 degree. There was ice on the pumpkin to be sure,
but the sun was shinning brightly and the wind was calm, making for a great
day for a bird walk. With a 7:00 am starting time, the birds were being
very vocal, singing repeatedly to find a mate and to welcome in the new day.

Highlights for the day included:

- A small flock of *Cedar Waxwings* flew over us in the parking lot
before we got started on our walk.
- From the field adjacent to parking lot 3, we could see 2 *Osprey* sitting
on the nest on top of the pole in the field.
- What we believe to be a second-year *Red-tailed Hawk* was being very
vocal around a nest site near the west end of the dog park. It seemed to be
begging to a nearby adult red-tail, possible one of its last year's parents.
- Several *Ruby-crowned Kinglets* were heard singing throughout our walk.
- A *Hermit Thrush* was seen feeding on the gravel path north of parking
lot 3. It was joined by several American Robins. They were feeding intently
on something on the path but we couldn't tell what.
- Further up the path, we got a great look at a male *Orange-crowned
Warbler*, singing repeatedly directly above us.
- With all the recent rain and the high river level, several ponds have
formed in the fields which were populated with a variety of waterfowl. On
one pond we found at least 19 *Green-winged Teal*, a pair of *Northern
Shovelers* and several *Mallards*.
- The *Golden-crowned Sparrows* are preparing for their migration north.
We noticed the beginnings of molting in many of these sparrows.
- A probably breeding pair of *Northern Harriers* was observed hunting
together on the North Field. We anticipate that they may be preparing to
nest on the field. They have been observed hunting together on that field
for the past two weeks.
- On the trail just north of the dog park, we saw a female Northern
Flicker (red-shafted) singing her heart out. We noted that it's not only
the males who are singing this time of year.

Because of the good lighting, I was able to capture several decent photos
of some of the above birds. Click on the link below to see these bird
photos.

In all, we saw and/or heard 45 bird species and enjoyed an outstanding bird
walk thanks to the warmth of the morning sun and the cheery company of the
participants and our leaders. Thanks Barbara and Fred for leading another
very enjoyable bird walk at my favorite park.

Tim Johnson
=====================================
Minto-Brown Island Park, Marion, Oregon, US
Apr 3, 2017 6:54 AM - 11:36 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
45 species (+1 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima) 90
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 6
Wood Duck 1
Mallard 11
Northern Shoveler 2
Green-winged Teal 22
California Quail 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Osprey 2 Sitting on nest near lot 3
Northern Harrier 2 Male and female together on North Field
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Killdeer 1
Mourning Dove 6
Anna's Hummingbird 2
Rufous Hummingbird 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 3
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
Hutton's Vireo 2 Heard
Steller's Jay 1
California Scrub-Jay 4
American Crow 4
Tree Swallow 8
Black-capped Chickadee 11
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 3
Bewick's Wren 6
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 18
European Starling 6
Cedar Waxwing 2
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 4
White-crowned Sparrow 16
Golden-crowned Sparrow 11
Savannah Sparrow 6 Most are on North Field
Song Sparrow 5
Spotted Towhee 10
Red-winged Blackbird 2
House Finch 2