Date: 4/5/17 12:28 pm
From: Scott Weidensaul <scottweidensaul...>
Subject: Roger Tory Peterson exhibit, Dauphin Co.
I'm pleased to let the PABIRDS community know about a great new exhibit opening this Friday at the Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art in Millersburg -- "Wild America: The Art of Roger Tory Peterson," which will be in the Olewine Gallery through the end of August.

The exhibit features more than 50 original paintings, drawings, field guide plates, sketchbooks and other material from the collection of the Roger Tory Peterson Institute in the late artist's hometown of Jamestown, N.Y. As volunteer curator for the center, I helped select the pieces on exhibit, which range from enormous studio paintings of golden eagles, owls and bobwhite to delicate scratchboard inks from Peterson's classic books like "Wild America" and "How to Know the Birds." And of course there are many plates from Peterson's famous field guides, including several editions of his eastern bird guide, and guides to Texas and Mexican birds and to wildflowers, which show the evolution of this ground-breaking art form.

For gallery hours, directions and more information on the exhibit and the center's many other programs, go to www.nedsmithcenter.org.

Scott Weidensaul
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Join us on Facebook!