Date: 4/5/17 12:14 pm
From: Rich Rieger via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] some Fairfax Co. birds
Sherman Suter and I worked the "southern Fairfax Co" route today. We started by driving the entrance road to Mason Neck in search of a singing Wood Thrush - we did not hear (or see) one.

Next stop was Meadowwood - Mustang trail - where there has been 1 Meadowlark for the past 3-4 weeks. Today it was singing from the top of the Japanese Landscape tree in the middle of the field. (Maybe BLM will let the grass grow a bit so it would favor breeding). 5 or 6 Palm Warblers, Savannah Sparrows and lots of Tree Swallows and Bluebirds were about.

Pohick Bay waterfowl is dwindling, but we found our FOS Caspian Terns on a sandbar across the bay.

Equestrian Center on Lorton hill rewarded us w. two (maybe 3) Vesper Sparrows close to the parking lot. White Crowned Sparrows are still present as well.

At Burke Lake, there was one C. Loon, a few (56) DC Corms and 2 Bonapartes Gulls.

Rich Rieger
Alexandria