Date: 4/5/17 9:14 am
From: Beth Kantrowitz <kantrowitz...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Northern Rough-Winged Swallows return to Hyattsville
I have lived here for 20 years, and every single year there are either two or three Northern Rough-Winged Swallows who nest in one of the pipe openings in the stone wall surrounding my apartment complex (I've never discovered which). They spend their time on the power lines and swooping around the parking lot, identified by appearance and constant "frip" call.

I doubt it's the same birds every year, but my theory is that when there are three, it's a pair plus an offspring from the previous year as a "helper at the nest."

-Beth Kantrowitz