Date: 4/5/17 7:34 am
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Fishing, Fotography and Fowl Hooked
Yesterdays storm sure hammered the San Luis Valley. Monte Vista had 14
inches of the white stuff but other parts of the San Luis Valley got less.
When things finally opened up a bit, I did a quick afternoon trip to Smith
Reservoir. Now on a day like yesterday, I always hedge my bet and leverage
between fishing, birding and photography, whichever is opportune.

Fishing under gray skies and sideways-blowing snow did not work well, but I
gave it a shot. No bites but it was good to fly fish again. Especially good
to not hook my ear with each back cast! Near the shoreline, I noticed a
scaup duck fowled up in fishing line and stuck to a willow. As I was about
to wade in and cut it free, it broke free and swam away. It could have been
worse and I always encourage birders and fisher persons to properly dispose
of excess fishing line. We all need to make this happen because it can be
deadly to our birds.

I could not help but notice a bit of a bird fallout along the south shore
trees. Most notable were 6-7 Sagebrush Sparrows (Costilla
County) desperately seeking open ground to feed on seeds. They were
definitely out of their usual habitat. Western and Mountain Bluebirds were
there as well. A few quick pictures and it was time to head home and warm
up. BBBRRR.

Migration moves forward so catch it while you can!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO