Date: 4/5/17 6:49 am
From: Logan Parker <lparker.mainelakes...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Rusty Blackbirds (2) and Eastern Phoebe in Messalonskee Marsh
While en route to a meeting in Belgrade yesterday evening, I stopped by the Belgrade Visitor Center on Route 27 and walked down the path to the marsh/bait pond. Upon arrival, I observed (2) Rusty Blackbirds perched in a tree along the edge of the marsh. Both birds were singing from their respective perches. One of the birds flew down and landed on the ice <10 feet from where I stood and walked among the cattails briefly before returning to the tree. Both birds flew out of sight/hearing shortly after. I scanned from this vantage point and observed a single Eastern Phoebe perched on a small tree out in the marsh and performing its characteristic tail wag.

I stopped by the center again this morning and flushed Wood Ducks (5) and Mallards (2) from the pond. The only passerines in view/earshot were Black-capped Chickadees (3) and a single Song Sparrow.