Date: 4/4/17 10:29 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Apr 2017) 39 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 39 87 485

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Jean-Marie Gauthier, Joe Sebastiani, Kathleen Pileggi,
Mike Gardner

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): Colleen Delmonte, Laureen Eick-Benson, Mike Gardner,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana Glass, Susan Huffington, Kathleen Pileggi, Joe
Sebastiani, Ellen Sebastiani,
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny - Partly Cloudy (0-50% cloud cover), Temps 40-65F, Winds NW 15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (30) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Before the Watch began today, we had our inaugural bird
walk for 2017. It was very good! As you would expect at this time of
year, it was a mix of seasons. It’s happening with our weather; might as
well happen with our birds, right? Several Winter Wrens remained, yet
there were numbers of Pine Warblers. There was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
White-crowned Sparrows, Fox Sparrows – some singing - yet, Palm Warblers
were here, too. Tree Swallows and Bluebirds raged war over available
nesting boxes. Still, White-throated Sparrows and Juncos were at the
feeders and singing in the brush and trees.
New wildflowers were encountered (do you “encounter” a wildflower?) on our
early morning walk: Virginia Blue Bell & just emerging, Trout Lilly. Other
plants and wildflowers found that were seen on previous walks - Ramp,
Spring Beauties, and Blood Root.
On the walk we also had Cabbage White and Eastern Coma. Oh, and a
footbridge dislodged from its usual location by the recent torrential
rains. Mike came to the rescue and gracefully and astutely (in the mud),
replaced the bridge. Much gratitude, Mike! And thanks to Laureen for the
Blondies Baked Goods. Thanks also to Colleen for wearing THAT hat –
thereby taking the pressure off the hat I chose. That was a daring fashion
selection, Colleen. Don’t you just love it when someone has the
confidence, throws caution to the wind (and fashion sense) and just goes
with the feeling at the time? You “worked” that hat, Colleen! (LOL)

Susan Huffington, who I just recently discovered to be a friend of my
brother’s, was here today at the Hawk Watch. It was so very nice to talk
with you Susan. Hope to see you out here a lot more – and feel free to
bring my brother along. Early a few Ospreys, Sharpies, Coopers,
Red-shouldered, but the excellent sky of the later afternoon cried for
more…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Ring-billed Gull,
1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2-Brown Thrasher, 2-Brown Thrasher, 1-Fox
Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Cabbage White. Dragonflies
(0); Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.81; Steps: 20.660; Floors:
53.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 79
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks favorable skies, favorable winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: