Date: 4/4/17 4:21 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Apr 2017) 48 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 48 48 446

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Kathleen Pileggi, Ian Stewart.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Drizzle (75-100% cloud cover), Temps 40-54F, Winds NNW 10-20
mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Yesterday was all wet - a total wash out. I didn’t even
go, violating my rain or shine policy, but come on – THAT was ridiculous.
What did we get - three inches of rain? Besides, if the tried and true old
adage that ‘all rules are made to be broken’ is true, was it not then
incumbent upon me to break my own personal rule?

A singing Brown Thrasher atop a Tulip Poplar tree along the meadow edge
started my day and was our 79th species for the Watch this season.
Another, further down the meadow, answered in response. I was treated to a
Palm Warbler (my second of the spring) working the short trees in front of
me and the ground below, his tail constantly pumping. He was loosely
associating with a Phoebe, another tail pumper – although at a much slower
rate. They pump to the “beat” of different drummers, I suppose.

Above, Ospreys were on the move, as were a few Sharpies, Red-tails,
Red-shoulders, and Eagles.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 4-Ring-billed Gull, 2-Brown
Thrasher, 1-Palm Warbler, 3-Eastern Towhee, 2-Fox Sparrow, 6-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (1); Spring Peeper. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.56; Steps: 3,649; Floors: 14.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 79
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Brown
Thrasher.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a pretty good day...
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: