Date: 4/4/17 8:29 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Purple Finch??
Dont know about this bird, but over the years i have had yellow Purple
Finches at my feeder. Less common than House Finches with this variation.
Bob obrien

On Monday, April 3, 2017, Mark J. Greenfield <markgreenfield...>
wrote:
> Okay OBOLers, solve this one for me. A short while ago I saw a finch at
our feeder, but I couldn’t tell if it was a purple finch or house finch. It
had a deeply notched tail and lacked distinctive streaking underneath,
which guides me towards purple finch. It also had bold auriculars like a
purple finch. But I did not notice a slight crest, and more importantly,
the facial and breast color of the bird was pale yellow, not red. Over the
years I have seen house finches that were more yellowish or orange in
color, but never a purple finch. Does this happen? I’ve been looking for
the bird to return, but no luck yet.