Date: 4/4/17 8:15 am
From: Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3) <FCollins...>
Subject: [texbirds] Oriole picture origin
I am a fan of Quinta Mazatlán World Birding Center and while looking at their April offerings came across a peculiar picture of an oriole associated with a class offering
" Quinta Mazatlán Naturalist: Animal Migrations : Any given day in the Lower Rio Grande Valley can host a vast diversity of wildlife. Ranging from temperate to tropical, the community of birds, butterflies, reptiles, amphibians, and plants makes the Valley unique. Participants will learn the basics of being a naturalist, with a focus on identification and natural histories of birds (and more!) in the thorn forest of Quinta Mazatlán. Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017 Time: 2:00- 3:30 pm, Fee: $5.00 per person"

I did not recognize the oriole so downloaded it to get a better look. The label that came up when I downloaded it was Altamira Oriole which it is clearly not. Doing some sleuthing it appears to be a Black Hooded Oriole Oriolus xanthornus.

So I have a question for Quinta Mazatlán. Where did you get the picture? In our announcements etc. here at Kleb Woods Nature Center we almost always use photos taken at Kleb Woods even when not the best. Volunteers keep us well supplied and we have an extensive photo file for species of everything at the park. I would think and hope Quinta Mazatlán does likewise. If that is the case was the bird photographed there? Maybe there was an escaped old world oriole around to confuse everyone.

Just another good reason to visit the place.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road, Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324