Date: 4/4/17 6:35 am
From: Logan Parker <lparker.mainelakes...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Sandhill Cranes (6) in Messalonskee Marsh and Great Blue Herons (2) at the MLRC
I stopped into the old boat launch off Route 27 in Belgrade on my way into work this morning to scrutinize the increasing assemblage of waterfowl in the open water.

Over the past two days, Canada Geese and Ring-necked Ducks have increased in number. Today I had 104 and 74 respectively. In among the flocks were Wood Duck (2), Bufflehead (2), Common Goldeneye (4), Hooded Merganser (5) and Black Duck (6). Tree Swallows (2) darted back and forth over the open water. While looking the ducks over, I was alerted by a clamor from the geese to Sandhill Cranes (6) flying in from the east. I watched/photographed them as they silently descended and touched down in the marsh. Perhaps these were the six cranes Andrew Aldrich observed yesterday from Mt. Agamenticus.

As I write this report, a coworker alerted me to Great Blue Herons (2) hunkered down on the western shore of Mill Stream, just behind the Maine Lakes Resource Center in the Belgrade Lakes village (visible only from the second floor).

Here's a link to the complete Messalonskee Marsh checklist with photos: