Date: 4/3/17 6:14 pm
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] SW Allen, Eastern Huntington Counties-- April 3
The highlight from a couple of late morning stops was netting my first Yellow-rumped Warblers of the year (2 at Fox Island).  I also noted another growth spurt in the cormorant numbers at Serv-All; I counted 64 of them this morning.

Then this late afternoon while acting on a tip from Margit Codispoti, who reported shorebirds at a large puddle along Huntington CR E1100N, I visited that field, finding that the three species that she had noted were still there.  Birds were coming and going, so my numbers-- Greater Yellowlegs (3), Lesser Yellowlegs (30+), and Pectoral Sandpiper (300+)-- were slightly different than hers.  Something sent the birds into the air at one point, and, with several hundred blackbirds swirling with them, it was fun to watch.

I then checked Amber Road on my way home but found only one Bald Eagle (adult near nest), a single Greater Yellowlegs, and a Fox Sparrow singing behind the house just south of the rail road.

Homestead Road at Branning was better, as I noted these:

American Black Duck- 4
American Wigeon- 3 (2m, 1f)
Blue-winged Teal- 22
Northern Shoveler- 9
Hooded Merganser- 3f
Greater Yellowlegs- 5+ (but many distant shorebirds not ID'd)
Lesser Yellowlegs- 20+
Pectoral Sandpiper- 100+
Bonaparte's Gull- 9

Rodger Rang