Date: 4/3/17 2:41 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Once again, a group of about 30 birders took part in today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.   We identified some 54 species in about a two hour period.  Some of our highlights included our FOS sightings of Blue-grey Gnatcatchers; about 200 Rusty Blackbirds; and a large group of Yellow-rumped Warblers.
Canada Goose  46
Wood Duck  12
Mallard  6
Blue-winged Teal  1
Northern Shoveler  8
Green-winged Teal  6
Ring-necked Duck  11
Hooded Merganser  6
Pied-billed Grebe  6
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron  6
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey  2
Cooper's Hawk  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  8
Ring-billed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  10
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  4
Fish Crow  1
crow sp.  1
Tree Swallow  20
Carolina Chickadee  18
Tufted Titmouse  10
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Winter Wren  1
Carolina Wren  7
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
Eastern Bluebird  6
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  20
Gray Catbird  1
Palm Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  30
American Tree Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  18
Swamp Sparrow  8
Eastern Towhee  3
Northern Cardinal  20
Red-winged Blackbird  60
Rusty Blackbird  200
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
American Goldfinch  6

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park