Date: 4/3/17 2:18 pm
From: Stanley C Stahl <000000ccb896003a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bonapartes Gulls and stoneflies, Lancaster County
blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Today, I watched hundreds and hundreds of Bonapartes Gulls from the John Wright Restaurant area at Wrightsville, York County. While sitting at a picnic table next to the Susquehanna River, 2 species of stoneflies landed on me. The Gulls were picking at the water's surface, most likely feeding on the stoneflies. Perhaps the stoneflies were concentrated here because of the exposed rocks just upriver, that would provide  convenient climbing surfaces for the emergent aquatic insects. Last Thursday, March 30, there were many Bonapartes feeding there. On Friday, the 31st, it was raining hard, and I saw no birds there. Maybe the rain was pushing the stoneflies too far beneath the surface.  This is only a conjecture on my thought. I didn't see any Little Gulls.Stan Stahl

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Join us on Facebook!