Date: 4/3/17 10:22 am
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Arb bonanza! | WAS-sponsored Arb field trip this Sat., 4/8, at 8 am, in search of early spring migrants
What a difference a day makes! In yesterday's warm weather, I had
difficulty finding any spring migrants. Today it was raw and cold; however,
my good luck started when I relocated the Winter wren that has been present
at the "third inlet" on the southwest corner of Dow Prairie for a week.
Only once he sang his complicated spring song every so lightly, punctuated
by his kit-kit call. Seeking the Arb's few wooded locations where cleaning
crews haven't cut down and removed the brush, I was fortunate to find there
Fox sparrows, Hermit thrush, Yellow-bellied sapsucker, Golden-crowned
kinglets, and more Winter wrens.

I am leading a WAS-sponsored field trip to the Arb this Saturday, April 8.
Meet at the Riverside entrance at 8 am. I can't guarantee we'll see the
full range of early spring migrants but we'll sure knock ourselves out
trying. All are welcome to join the WAS field trip.

Here's my list from my visit to the Arb today:

Nichols Arboretum, Washtenaw, Michigan, US
Apr 3, 2017 8:30 AM - 7:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
37 species

Canada Goose 5
Mallard 4
Turkey Vulture 2
Cooper's Hawk 2
Killdeer 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 10
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 8

Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Phoebe 5
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 12
White-breasted Nuthatch 14
Brown Creeper 2
Winter Wren 5 Notes: Except for 2 hanging out together in the "second
inlet" on the south border of Dow Prairie, these birds were scattered
throughout the Arb wherever there was downed timber. The winter wren I
reported a week ago in the "third input" on the southwest corner of Dow
Prairie is still there. He prefers the south edge of the inlet, not the
north edge where there's a ridge packed with downed timber. He calls and
sings very softly from time to time.

Carolina Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 10
Eastern Bluebird 2
Hermit Thrush 1 Notes: The thrush was in the company of 5 fox sparrows.
Walk up the west north-south road that starts at Geddes and ends at the
river. A little north of the lookout is the "Forsyth" bench on the west
side of the road. Turn around and look east and down into the valley
adjacent the road where there's brush and cover for birds to forage.
American Robin 18
European Starling 3
Fox Sparrow 7 Notes: See Hermit thrush above. I had 2 more fox sparrows
at a difficult-to-describe location but one where there was lots of brush.
Dark-eyed Junco 5
White-throated Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 8

Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 3
Brown-headed Cowbird 8
House Finch 7
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S35669158

Setting options from the command line is explained in the User Guide:

https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/user User Guide
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/help/faquser FAQ

To search the archive and view jpeg images:
https://glc-lists.merit.edu/sympa/arc/birders

birders is hosted by the Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN):

http://www.glin.net

All views and opinions presented above are solely those
of the author or attributed source and do not necessarily
reflect those of GLIN or the Great Lakes Commission.