Date: 4/3/17 8:54 am
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Stockbridge Audubon field trip to Eagle Marsh
As Ed has already mentioned, the Virginia Rail was one day shy of tying the record-early date for NE Indiana.  The Sora that some of us heard after the bulk of the group had left last night was two days shy.  The American Bittern photographed by someone not in our group last evening was also earlier than average (six days shy).  So, despite the recent weather becoming much more seasonable, perhaps with some stretches even unseasonably cool, many things still seem to be running early-ish.
Rodger RangFort Wayne

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 9:00 PM, zzedpowers <in-bird-l...> wrote:

Fifteen birders of varying experience gathered at Eagle Marsh for an evening field trip.  Those of us with scopes were busy showing birds to others, so the counts are mostly estimates after the fact.  Rodger Rang and Ed Powers were co-leaders
Eagle Marsh, Allen, Indiana, US
Apr 2, 2017 6:20 PM - 8:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: 59 F, mostly cloudy, calm
24 species

Canada Goose 20
Mute Swan 2
Wood Duck 4
Gadwall 5
American Wigeon 1
Mallard 20
Blue-winged Teal 30
Northern Shoveler 20
Green-winged Teal 100
American Bittern 1  We on the field trip did not see this bird.  As we were in the parking lot compiling our list, a photographer walked up and showed us a picture, taken at a spot we had walked by.
Great Blue Heron 10
Virginia Rail 1  This is one day later than the early record for northeast Indiana.
American Coot 6
Mourning Dove 2
Northern Flicker 1
American Kestrel 1