Date: 4/3/17 8:35 am
From: pepherup--- via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Snake With Wings Attached!

Yesterday I was out on my deck looking around for the red shouldered hawk I could hear screaming in the vicinity. Suddenly, at eye level I saw this strange bird with two long extensions out back fly through the yard. I was so startled for a moment I thought it was a large bird with a forked tail (swallow tailed kite) then I realized that it was the red shouldered hawk holding a really long snake in both talons and heading for it's nest located somewhere in the woods behind the field. The nest is in the woods out of my sight but I know the general location. I must say, I have never seen anything quite like it!
Also yesterday morning as I was returning from the area where I have been scattering seed during the winter the sharp shinned hawk which seems to have taken up residence in my yard as his local supermarket, flew out of a large cedar and flew into the evergreen under which I had scattered the seed. It seems he was waiting for me to scatter the bait. I may have to stop with the seeds as that is where the continuing fox sparrow likes to hang out. It was still here yesterday along with juncos, white throats, three towhees and countless grackles, cowbirds and red-winged blackbirds. I did find a pile of black feathers under there last week.
It's amazing the things you will see when you are looking up.

Peggy Lyons
Concord
Campbell County