Date: 4/2/17 8:19 pm
From: Rick Hollis <xiboia...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Mallard-Shoveler hybrid?
James. Such a neat bird.

With ducks, I think every hybrid possible has been recoded. For a lot of pictures on line, it seems to me that parentage --- unless you have seen the parents* and watched it grow up, you are just whistling into the wind --- and are really just guessing.

* even if you seen the pair, unless you can guarantee that she didn't step out or some other drake didn't force his way him. Or that someone didn't dump an egg in the nest.

Just my thoughts.

Continued Good Birding,

Rick Hollis. rural North Liberty IA