Date: 4/2/17 4:19 pm
From: David Crouch <Nighthawk...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] The Burn
Our annual visit to see Clint Murray and “The Burn” which he husbands so well has become a favorite early Spring venture for Sally and me. This year we observed about 40 Smith’s Longspur but had to wait to get good qualifying scope views, which we did, along with lots of other “prairie” species. We dipped on the Western Meadowlark but that just gives us another reason to return. Dave Crouch Seymour

Lye Creek Prairie Burn, aka The Burn, Montgomery, Indiana, US
Apr 2, 2017 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Sally and I met Clint Murray at his Lye Creek Burn property, did a bit of birding at the North end then went with Clint and another couple (Adam and Sarah) across the road and walked to flush Smith's Longspurs. Later took a full "Gator" tour of Clint's property. Always one of our favorite visits of the Spring birding season.
29 species

Canada Goose 2
Gadwall 2
Blue-winged Teal 29
Northern Shoveler 4
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 5
Killdeer 8
Wilson's Snipe 3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Mourning Dove 4
Northern Flicker 1
Horned Lark 8
Tree Swallow 3
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 5
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 10
Lapland Longspur 3
Smith's Longspur 41 Flushed while walking north field transect. Many birds ID by rattle calls and flight behaviors, did get nice scope vies of a few birds including at least two males transitioning from buff to pumpkin frontal tones and well defined white wing blotches and crisp black / white facial pattern. This species is an annual migrant at The Burn and has been for many years.
American Tree Sparrow 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Vesper Sparrow 3
Savannah Sparrow 12