Date: 4/2/17 3:49 pm
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: Re: April eBird challenge
I use my Android smart phone almost daily with the eBird mobile app. On a
recent overseas trip I created greater than 80 offline checklists over 20
days in an area where I did not have cell service (too cheap to buy it) or
internet access except in the evenings at hotels. I often got two days from
my battery. I had it in airplane mode because I was not using the telephone
or internet and did not need the connectivity.

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
wrote:

> Once you've started the checklist, the app shouldn't be using any real
> battery-hogging features (data, gps, etc.), so you may wish to look at what
> else you have running in the background. Also, it helps to try and walk
> along and keep a mental tally of what you're seeing and needing to add so
> you aren't firing up your display for every bird encountered to update your
> list. Switching to airplane mode can also help on battery and may be useful
> for areas birded where there isn't cell reception and your phone is
> constantly searching for a tower.
>
> Also, one small clarification eBird mobile never cost a penny. What you
> paid for before was BirdLog and that was made by a commercial business and
> Cornell bought that out and used it as the basis of eBird mobile. Your
> money for BirdLog went to Birds in the Hand LLC not Cornell.
>
> Regards,
> Ted Nichols II
> Annville, Pa. (Lebanon County)

> this