Date: 4/2/17 2:43 pm
From: Jerry McWilliams <0000001b5c226889-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Erie County, Presque Isle Hawk Watch for April 2, 2017

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1897 1897 7047

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Jerry McWilliams

Observers: Jerry McWilliams, Ken Felix, Russ States

Visitors:
Russ States and Ken Felix assisted with the count. Paul and Cheryl stopped
by to enjoy the flight. My wife Linda stopped by to see how the flight was
going.

Weather:
Clear skies with cirrus clouds and multiple jet contrails made for good
viewing. SW winds early quickly shifting to the WNW to 15 mph. Mild temps.
in the mid 50s.

Raptor Observations:
Pockets of vultures streaming through all day with just a few hawks among
them. Birds were flying low and along the lake until the wind shift at
1000 hrs. then the birds moved inland. They drifted from almost out of
site to the south to suddenly moving back closer to the lake as the winds
shifted briefly from the NW to the west. Vulture numbers really dropped off
between 1000 and 1200 hrs. EST, then quickly picked up the final couple of
hours. I suspect many birds gave us the slip to the south when the NW wind
kicked in.

Non-raptor Observations:
A couple of Sandhill Cranes moved past the watch independently for the
highlight of the day. Other non-raptor migrants included Canada Goose 10,
Common Loon 17, Double-crested Cormorant 95, Eastern Phoebe 1, Northern
Flicker 3, Horned Lark 5

Predictions:
SE winds and rising temps. could be could for another decent flight if the
rain holds off.

Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
<jerrymcw...>