Date: 4/2/17 2:21 pm
From: Brian Taber via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] College Creek Hawkwatch 1,000th Bird and March Total

We always track the 1,000th bird to see how the season is progressing and yesterday, Bill Williams was on hand as a Sharp-shinned Hawk cruised past for number 1,000. The date for the event last year was the second earliest ever, on March 23rd. The 3 previous years were April 6th, April 3rd and April 21st, so we're on the early side of the 21-year average.

The total for March was 626, 4th lowest over the past 10 years...following our 2nd best February ever. Many days saw no coverage due to weather.

And today, despite steady north winds, we were surprised to tally our 10th best day ever, at 153. There were 8 species and 7 Northern Harriers, which is very good for the site, as the daily high is 10. April is off to a very fast start. All data is shown at the Hawkcount.org website.

The season total stands at 1166.

The hawkwatch is located on the James River, along the Colonial Parkway, about 3 miles southeast of Williamsburg.

Brian Taber
Coastal VA Wildlife Observatory