Date: 4/2/17 1:10 pm
From: Robert Hartman <RHartman0...>
Subject: [MDBirding] ID help?
Hi Folks - Birding at Patuxent N. Tract this morning, I saw a shorebird
on Merganser Pond that has me confused. It was on the right-hand "X"
(seen from the parking lot), and was backlit, so the view was poor, and
I didn't have a scope. My first impression was a dowitcher: right
shape/size, long straight bill, but couldn't make out any markings.
When I got home, I discovered that SBDO shouldn't be here for at least
10 days, probably more like 2-3 weeks. I considered other options, but
they are either the wrong shape/size, or even less likely than SBDO.
(There have been a couple of SBDO reported to eBird from the coast, but
none from west of C. Bay.)

There were several other birders there - I wonder whether they saw this
bird, and if so, what they concluded about it.

Thanks,

Bob Hartman

Silver Spring