Date: 4/2/17 12:27 pm
From: Jim Moodie <jmoodie...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Costa's
?Hi Lona,

If a Rufous Hummingbird chased off purple-throated one, I would guess it is a Calliope, rather than a Costa's. Calliopes cannot compete with the Rufous hummers, but the Costa's hummer won't back down. Several years ago, we had a female Costa's at our house. I knew I had something different before I could put the bins on her because she ran off any and all Rufous that dared approach 'her' feeder. She returned for three years in a row; always to molt and grow tail feathers, which took about five weeks.

cheers,

Jim

Dr. Jim Moodie
Science Dept