Date: 4/2/17 11:52 am
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison State Park, April 2
This morning, I kicked-off the start of my 19th year leading migration bird walks at Fort Harrison State Park, Indianapolis. Frequently, the first walk of the year is rather uneventful and often involves poor weather. Today, the weather was decent and the list of birds was good for April 2.
Highlights include close looks at a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers, three Eastern Phoebes, a singing Winter Wren, 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, oodles of kinglets of both species, a Brown Thrasher, and a cooperative Yellow-throated Warbler. Everyone in the group heard the Winter Wren but unfortunately it was blocked from view due to vegetation. The complete list of the 40 species observer is below.Ft. Harrison State Park, Marion, Indiana, US
Apr 2, 2017 7:41 AM - 9:39 AM

Canada Goose  17
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  3
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Double-crested Cormorant  3 - Roy onlyGreat Blue Heron (Blue form)  2
Mourning Dove  3
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  2
Tree Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)  1
Brown Creeper  1 - Mark onlyWinter Wren  1
Carolina Wren  7
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Golden-crowned Kinglet  12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  11
American Robin  13
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  4
Yellow-throated Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  3
Field Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  11
Red-winged Blackbird  19
Common Grackle  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  14
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  6
A bird walk will be held each Sunday in April and May at Fort Harrison State Park. Meet at 8am at the northeast corner of Delaware Lake parking lot.
 Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com